Friday, April 2, 2010

Time to Move

I hate moving. I hate packing up every tiny little thing in every closet and trying to find a label for it. I hate that I have totes and boxes that I haven't even looked at in years, yet I can't bear to throw it away so we move it along with us to not be looked at somewhere else.


But as much as I hate moving, I love change. I really do. I'm a change-aholic. And even more than change, I love progression. So the fact that Jacob and I were blessed enough to be able to finally buy our own home, which presents us with change AND progression, is enough to make me smile through the packing.

And then I remember what the NEW house looks like, and my smile falters slightly. On paper, this place sounds amazing. Here's the actual description from our actual agent:

immaculate home on tree lined street. Covered Patio, spacious living room, large family room in basement. New oven/range, Nice, fully fenced yard. Solid brick home. Workbench stays, space for RV, convenient to bus lines, shopping, schools, churches.

Then you look at the stats: 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 2044 square feet, one car garage, corner lot, upstairs living room, downstairs family room, and probably about 8 storage closets. It sounds amazing right?

They don't tell you that every single one of those 2044 square feet is plastered with wallpaper, or crowned with a popcorn ceiling, or adorned with lovely shag carpet from the 1970's that matches to a T what my great-grandmother had in her home. We always joked about how she was so protective of spills, because it was so mottled with shades of chartreuse, day-glo orange, tomato red, and mustard yellow, that we knew you'd never even notice a spill. And here I am, about to own that carpet.

Yet for some reason, I can't feel bad about it. We got a great deal, and when we walked through it Jacob was like a kid in a candy store talking excitedly about all the improvements he could make. And I have to admit, it's been kind of fun designing my very own kitchen.

So we'll tear out the old and come in sanding and painting and repairing to find the new. And hopefully soon, I'll have some killer before and after photos.

Wish me luck! As of Monday, we'll be homeowners!


1 comments:

summer Findley said...

wow! congratulations!