Monday, February 1, 2010

The Pigtail Saga

Eisley's hair has been unmanageable lately, so I finally plucked up my courage, picked up a comb and attempted pigtails. I'm happy to say it was a success. See for yourself:

Front View
Back View
So I was all proud of myself and kept looking at her funny all day, because I'm not used to her hair being pulled back. She didn't seem to mind, thankfully. Well, little did I know I had made a BIG mistake. I put pigtails in her hair on a non-bath day. See, we only bathe her every other day because we don't want to dry out her already sensitive skin. I did not think of what would happen that night when we took the pigtails out. Or the next morning...

THIS is what happened:
...that night......the next morning...
(P.S. This is TOTALLY my desktop background picture right now. Cracks me up)So the only logical thing to do, was to put her hair in pigtails yet again. And yet again, she looked adorable (even if she IS chewing on her shoe):


So that night we were at my mom's and she said she'd give Eisley a bath with her cousin Elaina. I brought Eisley in to my mom and this was our conversation:
me:"Okay she's ready!"
mom: "Yes, dear, but you have to take out her hair ties."
me: "I already did!"

Can you see why she was confused?
That hair is doing it on its own!

So we finally got the perma-piggies out of her hair and she slept wonderfully knowing she was clean and probably free of the headache induced by such tight little pigtails. And I thought we were finally done with the drama resulting from my self-perceived successful attempt at doing hair.

I was wrong...WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS GRANDMA FRO?!?

The poor girl had worn her hair pulled back for two days straight and it gave me a headache just LOOKING at how tight those little pony tails were. I didn't want to inflict that upon her again! So this time I resorted to using product. I swore I'd never do it, but it cannot be helped. I used some spray gel in her hair.

Still, not great.

But after a little drying, a little tousling and a little hairbow, we finally ended up with something I could live with. And in fact, I love this picture of her. (Yes I changed her outfit. It was too cold for shorts, I just wanted to try them on her.)

So there it is. I'm learning slowly how to deal with her beautiful curly hair. I've never had curly hair. I've never had a baby. This is a HUGE learning curve for me. But at least I'm able to laugh at the process. And I wouldn't trade her for anything, OR her luxurious locks.


5 comments:

Devanie said...

Yes- I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE her pretty curly locks too- I think using product early is good! I wish someone told me about hair products before 9th grade because maybe I wouldn't have looked like such a dork-butt for the first 12 years of my life. haa ha!

Alecia said...

I think the Grandma fro picture is awesome!! She looks like she's doing a gangsta dance. She's getting cuter every day!

Anonymous said...

Kadie that is just too much! hahaha do you know you have the most adorable little girl? :D I just think your family is great.

Dodson Family said...

So cute! I am terrible at doing Addison's hair; I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with a little girl's curly locks! She looks cute either way, but you do wonder if those babies get headaches from those little pigtails! At least she has hair!

chrissy said...

oh my gosh, i love the grandma fro! i think her soft curls in the last picture are so, so cute. i'd keep that up. love it!

i'll give you my 2 cents about those rubber bands, though. we used those with olivia constantly, she always had her hair either in ponies or piggies, and over the last year they've completely shredded her hair. i don't know how i didn't notice it before, but she's got all these tiny broken hairs from the rubber rubbing and breaking it off. we've switched to those small ouchless goodie ones, but they don't hold baby hair very well. if you keep using those rubber bands, just take them out very carefully or she'll be bald like olivia :(